Monday 21 September 2009

Some interesting boards

I think Janne and I are finally getting our act together. You can view the full boards by clicking Pattaya bridge Club results and then the x by the date. There were some truly comical moments during our round. On board 5 we were allowed to make 3S when the opponents forgot to cash 2 C tricks, but the really cute board of that round was when West reached 5C on board 6, which I doubled after partner had bid D freely and later supported H. The D lead was won by declarer and she promptly called for the club Q from dummy. Partner objected! That was the only play to insure the defeat of 5C. A very good player once said "If declarer doesn't know where the lead is, accept it. Declarer is too confused to make the contract."

On board 9 what I thought was a reasonable negative double holding AJxxx, Kxxx, 10x, xx after P, P, 1D, 2C went awry when partner left it in with a balanced 14 and Jxx of C. On board 14 I elected to open 1H as East. Not classic, and Janne responded 1NT. I now (while I could have passed) bid 2C (Swedish, ambiguous). I think Janne could raise to 3C with his hand but he chose to play me for the unspecified strong hand and bid 3NT. This was not a good spot!

Paul Quodomine

No comments:

Post a Comment